Thursday 21 January 2016

Thursdays tea - slow cooked savoury mince

Thursday is one of my days off, so I like to throw something in the slow cooker that'll make the house smell homely and scrummy.  My family (hubby and daughters 6&9) all love traditional, comforting home cooked dishes, so tonight we're having savoury mince with roast potatoes, peas and Yorkshire puds.  There is no exact science to my savoury mince recipe and sometimes I just add a packet mix, but today I have made it from scratch.  I tend to try and use what I have in the fridge, and also, seasons and weather permitting - I like to eat what we grow at the allotment, you can follow also follow our allotment blog - http://myallotmentadventure.blogspot.co.uk/
So with the help of my sear and stew slow cooker - it usually ends up a tasty hearty meal that everyone enjoys.  I love this type of slow cooker as it can be used on the hob, then all ingredients transferred in the pot to continue cooking in the slow cooker - less fuss, less dishes!


Here's the recipe for todays tea, I hope you try it and would love to know how yours turned out.

Mummy Moo-Moos Savoury Mince



Ingredients
Splash of oil
1 large chopped onion
1-2 chopped stalks of celery
2 chopped carrots
2 cloves of garlic - crushed
500g minced beef
A sprinkle of mixed herbs
A sprinkle of paprika
Dash of Worcestershire sauce (I would have added this if I had some!)
1 beef oxo cube
200mls water
sprinkle of gravy granules

Method
1. Heat oil in pan and add onion, celery, carrots and cook until softened.
2. Add minced beef and garlic, cook for a couple of minutes until brown
3. Add herbs and paprika - stir.
4. Mix oxo cube with water and add to the pot, splash on the Worcestershire sauce and stir.
5. Transfer ingredients to slow cooker.
6. Cook on low for 4-6 hours
7. Thicken with gravy granules and serve.

Serves 5 portions - 222cals per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment